Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wow, my last update was July. The only reason I'm blogging again is because Priya sent me a link to check our hers and she has my link on the side so it was easy for me to find. I still have almost another half an hour of lunch break leaf and have run out of things to do during it so I'll blog.

Lot's of things have happened since July. A quick recap of important events;



Sam and I got engaged the day before my 26th birthday. I suspected something was up but he did a good job of telling me lies and keeping me second guessing myself. After a few weeks/months of discussion we moved our wedding date from Spring 2011 to Fall 2010. And our official wedding date is 10.2.10. At first I had a lot of ideas and spent hours doing Internet research on photographers, djs, favor boxes and decorations, but now there's isn't much to do. Sam's parents area paying for the dj and photographer so I let them do the initial research and I get final approval. My parents are paying for the food and decor so I basically tell them what I want and Mom shops and pays for it.

These flowers are my color and decor inspiration. Sam approved of 'wine and gold' since they are Redskins colors. I bought my dress at Christmas because I knew what I wanted and didn't see a reason to hold off. Sam and I registered at a few stores the other weekend and I have been following my Washington Post checklist closely. Now I'm just waiting for the next purchase or decision to check off.




Just before Christmas, Sam found out that he was assigned to D.C. for his job so after being advised by Dave, my financial advisor, to look for a house since the tax credit was extended, we did. After offering on 2 houses and being in bidding wars and loosing the houses and then seeing another house we wanted to offer on but it was already over our budget and had 9 other offers on it, we finally found one with no competition and we got it almost $20k below asking price. People ask us if the part after 'winning' the house is hard, but the hard part was actually finding a house that we 'won'. Now we're just waiting till March 30, when we settle. Here is the last remaining link to pictures that I can find of the house online anymore. http://slideshow.mris.com/slideshow.cfm?ListingKey=90133435022

We get a few calls and emails now and then from people asking for information or money for house things like pests inspections or credit checks so we respond to them as quickly as possible so we don't hold anything up. It is a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with basement and large screened in porch. This is more rooms than I had already designed in my head so I've been trying to figure out paint colors and wood stains, metal finishes and decor styles so that it will all flow naturally. I have decided to paint the front door a 'pop' blue (I'll add some annuals too) so the front doesn't look so boring until I have enough time and more savings gathered to do a full blown landscape plan with curb appeal. Sam is all for my 'pop' of blue color which is nice because I assumed he would be against such a contrast. I have a good group of friends and family that are going to help paint the interior of the house before we move in.
With the wedding coming up, we're trying to not spend too much on the house for another year or so but that didn't stop me from spontaneously buying a chandelier and coordinating light fixture on Overstock.com this week. (oops!) We'll hold off on the couch and queen size bed and kitchen appliances for another year or so until the wedding is behind us.

Spring seems like it is back so maybe I'll take more pretty flower pictures like I did last year and post in another month or so. Would you like that?

2 comments:

  1. You bought a chandelier? Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the pictures of the chandelier? I want to see! Also, do you have an HOA, because as cute as well all think the blue door is, they may not approve... just a thought to check into. Glad you're blogging again...

    ReplyDelete