Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pool, tar and bananas

Just got back from swimming about an hour ago. I spent a little more than a half an hour there this time. I decided to skip body pump tonight to go swimming this afternoon rather than this morning to give my body time to rest. Most of the elderly folks must do their laps in the morning because there were open laps when I got there. I finally had my own lane! I jumped in the pool faster than usual because with the whole swimsuit, theres less skin to touch the water and get cold (except my back). I didn't know how to put my cap on so I had hair in my face. There aren't any instructions on the packaging. I'll go back on Friday and I think I have to put the cap on while my hair is dry. I tried to remember what Sam taught me and to practice each part of the swim. The first few times on the kick board were hard since I didn't have Sam to hold my heavy butt and thighs up. I had to stop a few times during my lap to kick my body back up to the surface. But the last length of the pool I almost made it the whole way focusing on using my core to keep my body up. I'm supposed to keep my legs loose and kick from my knees not my hips which is a problem for me because I've been taking Pilates for 2 years and we are trained to kick with straight legs from the hip. I tried to do the real swim but after about a quarter of a length I would get all caught up and would either start to drink water or keep my head up to catch my breath when it should be back under the water. This is the most frustrating part now, trying to coordinate my breathing and stroke so that I can go a whole length without stopping to spit out water or to catch my breath. I had to do one of those hack coughs in the middle of the lap once and I'm sure the others appreciated it. I did figure out though that I can swim about half a length underwater holding my breath but then when I come up to take a breath I get mixed up and have to stop. I don't think holding my breath the whole time is the best idea. So it took me about 3 tries to get the whole way down the length of the pool this way. I watched other people in the pool and they are like spinning their head all the way around to breath and can go slow. I don't know how they do that. A little boy threw up on the pool deck too. Luckily it wasn't in the pool or I'd probably have to get out. Classes start next week so hopefully that can show me how to coordinate my breathing and stroke. When I took my goggles off, my eyes can't focus on far distances so I would have to look only a few feet in front of me. Its similar to the quality of seeing that you have when you are staring. This can't be good since I have to bike after the swim part of the triathlon. I had to sit down for a few minutes before I got in my car to leave the rec center.

When I left for the rec center, they were doing stuff out in the road. Painting lines and stuff which means they are going to dig or something. When I got home they are pouring asphalt. But we still have water. Mmm, the smell of tar...

I wanted a snack when I got back from the pool so I stopped at Safeway to get some bananas to make a banana split. But I put gym pants on over my suit and had a wet butt area on my pants. I wonder if other shoppers saw that and were concerned. I found the bananas at the store but they were green. I think even more green than Amber likes. Usually theres at least a few that are yellow but there was only one miniature little guy who was yellow. So I pft around and found a hand that had some that were close to yellow. I got cool whip too for it. And I finally asked for a club card so I could take advantage of the discounts. I don't think the guy behind me in the 15 items or less line appreciated the extra time I took. But the problem is that they don't have key ring cards, only a big one. But the cashier told me that I can cut out the bar code and hook that onto my keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment