Monday, March 30, 2009

Crash!

Megan did ride my bike along with me while I ran my run yesterday morning. But my run didn't go well. It was hotter out that I thought and so I overheated probably half way through so I stopped and walked for a bit and then ran again but I stopped running short and walked the rest of the way home. Long sleeves was a bad idea. Megan didn't stay with me the whole time so she was waiting for me by our house and we went over to Giant to get some groceries for supper.

Annette came over in the early afternoon to help make cookies and then Sam came over a little later. I had supper prepped so Sam and I went on a bike ride to 4 mile run and then the Mt. Vernon trail. It was delightful except for all the people on the trail. I had many issues passing people on the trail. I wasn't as aggressive as Sam because I'm still getting comfortable with my bike. The weather was beautiful and the flowers and trees were blooming and it seemed like summer because I was wearing shorts and a tank top.

We had planned on riding by the new apartment on the way home. We had lost most of the crowd on 4 mile run trail on our return trip and nearing where we would cross Glebe to go see the new apartment. But we didn't make it there. Sam was in front of me and we both were looking to our right at where our future shopping center and Sam's Golds Gym would be. Sam decided to slow down to turn to go see the shopping center and I ran into him and flew off my bike. I landed with my hands but nothing seemed broken. Just some scrapes on my left side and a jammed left arm. I had my helmet on but luckily, it wasn't needed. A guy who lives next to the trail heard the crash and brought me water and band aids. Nothing seemed broken and the sky was looking stormy so we had to continue the ride back to my house including the hard hill. I took Sam to an alternative hill in hopes that it would be easier. I made it to the top without stopping but I couldn't put pressure on my left arm and hand so changing gears was hard.

When we got home I put frozen veggies on my arm and we had supper. After supper we watched a movie and I sat on the couch with my arm wrapped in some frozen veggies, ace bandage and a sling. My wrist seemed to hurt the most so I put the ice towards my hand. But when I tried to get ready to shower, my elbow was really hurting. After my shower I applied frozen shrimp to my elbow since it was slightly swollen and in pain. Since I don't have insurance anymore, Sam and I decided that if it was worse in the morning, he would take me to the doctors. I slept on my back and right side last night and this morning it wasn't worse. I put some more frozen veggies on my elbow and my wrist was feeling better this morning. As the day goes by, my elbow is extending its range of motion. I can use my arm more but can't extend it too far. I'm glad its doing better because I didn't want to repeat my broken collar bone again. Sam looked up my injury online and determined that I sprained my elbow. I wont be able to go swimming for a few days but might be able to run tomorrow. I hope my triathlon training doesn't suffer because I'm getting down to crunch time.

No comments:

Post a Comment