Saturday, March 21, 2009

Shopping and swimming

This morning Megan and I went to Macy's One Day Sale and I got dishes for the new apartment. I wanted to get a set of pots and pans too but the deal they were having wasn't good enough for me. Then we came back home and met Aaron and went to Joann's Fabrics, etc. He wants to replace the cushions on his couch but the foam at Joann's is more expensive and not what he is looking for but he was very entertained by all the things you can buy and do at Joann's. We returned home again and then Megan and I walked over to Giant to get groceries. We always get more stuff than we plan on and our tote bags we take along end up heavy and we have additional plastic bags to carry back too.

After lunch and a nap, I saw on the pool calendar that there was a gap in classes so I went over for a swim hoping to have a lane to myself. Wrong. When I checked in there were a group of 8 girls about 6 or 8 years old. And that wasn't all of them. There was a birthday pool party and I could hear screaming from the locker room. There were a ton on screaming kids and even some crying ones in the entry ramp and first lane so I got in the third lane with another woman but then moved into the second lane because it was empty. But after I swam to the other end, a life guard was opening up my lane for the pool party. So I made some gestures at him and then went back over with the woman in the third lane. I did mostly freestyle but saw her doing the breast stroke so I mocked her to see if I could figure out how to glide. After a bit more of freestyle I took a break to relieve the goggle pressure on my eyes. I used the kick board but got mad because I couldn't go anywhere with it. So I resumed freestyle. I find that towards the end of my workout is when I can do laps better because I tire myself out and go slower which uses less energy so I have more endurance. I did about 2 laps with an above water turn around and breath between lengths and figured I would push myself and continue to see if I could make it to 5 laps. At some point the woman left my lane and 2 men joined me. And an old lady joined the kids in the first lane to swim. One of the men in my lane hit me as he passed me. I was getting angry because of the pool party making my lane full and my goggles getting blurry. And I was sure that someone would pee in the water and I could get sick from drinking it. So when I finished my 5th lap, I got out. 250 meters! I can now do the tri.

The clocks in the pool area aren't right or working so I wasn't sure how long I spent swimming until I got back into the locker room and read the clock in there. I swam for 50 minutes which surprised me because I thought it was only like 30. I got in the sauna to dry off and to dry my cap since I wasn't in a hurry to get home. I only had a towel around me as the instructions say but there was a 5 year old little boy in the woman's locker room washing his hands. He looked into the sauna as he left and luckily my towel was covering everything or he might have seen more than he was prepared to. When I left the sauna and went to the locker to put my clothes on, I had to be careful to cover everything in case another little boy came in. It wouldn't be my fault but I would probably be accused of something.

I returned home to eat and now to chill until I shower and get ready to go out tonight for Keeley's birthday. Its not too bad out now, hopefully the weather will stay nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment